Saturday, December 8, 2012

Toying with Switching to Game Maker Studio

Yes I'm back to torturing myself again in deciding what's the best route to develop an old school RPG. I love Blitzmax and I think it's great. I love the fact that it's a language so I can create anything I want with it rather than a level editor. The other day I was reading PC Gamer and they had a section on indies and the software they use to create games, needless to say I couldn't read it fast enough.

Game Maker, I've known about it for a while but never paid it much mind. Game Maker was featured in one of the articles and what caught my eye is it can build a game on IOs and Android as well as PC and Mac. Hmmm. I know for a fact that Blitz will never have that capability ever. A few weeks ago I was reading up on XCode and just thinking to myself if I ever made a few games would I want to port it to the ipad? I would have to learn XCode which will require a lot of time and effort. For someone that isn't doing this full time and won't be doing this full time for a long time to come, if ever, it probably won't be worth it.

I know the developers of Blitz made a new product called Monkey but hear the syntax is horrible and overall it doesn't really interest me. On the other hand working with Game Maker will be confined to an editor of someone else's making. I'm adamant on not going with Unity, it's 3D orientated and I know I'll have to jump through a lot of hoops to get things to work for me. Using Blitzmax is still a viable option but it doesn't afford me to make a game past the pc and mac.

I'm probably going to do more research and maybe spend some time learning GM to see if it can do what I need. The prospect of making a game for traditional platforms as well as the mobile ones is hard to pass up.


No comments:

Post a Comment