Saturday, February 25, 2012

Game Editor

I discovered early on that if you want to make a game you need a good game editor. I suppose you could code the world by hand but I see that as very tedious and time consuming. I coded a world editor that has all the things I think I'll need to visually build a post-apocalyptic work. Here is a screenshot of it.


Ok so first off, I know the grid is off and it needs to be adjusted. I just coded this a few days ago and it's not finished. The red buttons are navigation buttons to move in any direction around the map. The bottom pan are all of the properties I have for any given object. The left are the source graphics, I just select one and place it on the map. There is also the ability to group the source graphics into categories to keep everything organized.

There is more to it than that but that's the gist of it. It still needs work. For example, if I have a graphic in a level and I delete that graphic from the library the editor freezes on startup. There are other things on my list that I need to check or debug.

I am somewhat proud of my editor though :) If something isn't working, I know exactly where to go to fix it. If I need a new feature added, I can added pretty quickly and easily. The point is this is my editor and it's tailored for my use.

I decided I needed to invest a decent amount of time into making a solid, stable editor. Before it was a half ass editor, and I didn't get very far in coding my game before I discovered the editor lacked something, or crashed, or whatever. Once I'm done with the editor, it's stable, does everything I need it to do than I know I have a stable base to build upon. Hopefully I'll have the editor done in a few days than off to other, more fun things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment