Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Blender 3D and Isometric Tiles

I like SketchUp a lot and wish I could use it but it seems that I can't. First, it doesn't allow you to output a 2D image exactly how you want it and adjusts it for you. Based on a few forums responses I got from my thread, the Iso camera isn't exactly a 2:1 isometric ratio. I created a simple floor and attempted a bunch of times to get it working in Tiled (I'll talk about that next) and couldn't get it to line up right. I wish I can use SketchUp but I'm tired of wasting time.

Enter Blender. I found a few tutorials on making Isometric tiles with Blender which was encouraging. When I first opened it, I stared at it for about 5 seconds and closed it. All I saw was numbers, lots of numbers, and panels and descriptions and so on. Not for me, way way too complicated.

Ok but I can't use SketchUp so I have to use something. I don't think it's going to be within my future undecided budget to outsource every piece of art. With a grand scale RPG that's going to add up fast. I bought Blender for Dummies. Slowly it's all starting to make sense to me when you take it apart. Granted, I'm not going to use 90% of what Blender has to offer. I don't care about the animation, skeleton rigging and so on. There are a ton of options that I have no idea what they do. Sometimes I have to reload Blender simply because I can't figure out how to undo something I did.

Where was I, oh yes. When you strip away the other stuff blender is shaping up to be exactly what I need it to do. I'm not making complex scenes with all sorts of light, people, animation, etc. I can output exactly the size tiles I want and I just need to manipulate shapes. I'm still reading through the dummies book on my Google Nexus 7 and haven't even reached the part on how to texture shapes but I'll get there.

The real hard part is going to be making some walls. Walls are easy, making walls that will interlock on a isometric grid is another story entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment