Friday, November 16, 2012

Writing the perfect code, why do I torture myself?

I wonder if other people do this or am I a unique being. Today I went to work on the turn based combat system since I've barely scratched the surface. I quickly realized my inventory screen was broken because other changes I had made a few days ago. Fine, then I noticed for each character's inventory I had a 25 cell array. This annoyed me because I was using a Tlist in most cases and wanted things to be consistent. Since I had to fix the inventory anyway I changed it to a tlist.

Fast forward over an hour later, fixing things because I changed the type of inventory system. What did I gain from this? I'm not quite sure really, other then I'm using a Tlist instead of an array. So the question I'm going to ask out loud is why? If it works, leave it. There is no perfect code or structure, of course it's going to be a bit sloppy no matter what I do. No matter how I write it, a time difference of 2 milliseconds isn't really going to matter.

I need to tell myself to stop tinkering, stop going backwards and stop wasting time. Ok I think I'm done lecturing myself, next.

No comments:

Post a Comment