Thursday, November 15, 2012

To Blitzmax or not to Blitzmax

I've done this to myself many times over the last few years and figured it was an interesting topic to talk about and I wonder if I'm just a weirdo or perhaps other aspiring game makers do this too. Ok I'm probably a weirdo regardless.

Given the pace that I'm making this game I always think there might be something better that I could be using, such as Unity 3D for example. Over a year ago when I took up Blitzmax I was confident it was what I was looking for and wanted and something I could stick with. I was using Torque Game Builder before that but it wasn't a good fit. Recently a thread was created on the Blitz forums about how there aren't any updates left to it and wondering of Blitz is going to be obsolete in the near future. I also read comments how Blitz is sorely lacking some essential features like AStar and items like that.

Now of course I read it and it fed the always present self doubt that I have about the time investment I'm making and if using Blitz is still the way to go. Maybe I should take up Unity 3D so I can eventually get my game published on the ipad really quickly and other platforms with one code base. Maybe Blitz could be a lot better and it's past it's life span.

I ran some searches on making a isometric rpg with Unity and found very little. I saw some posts asking if you "can" make an isometric rpg with Unity and the answer is the generic "you can make anything you want".  I also read a blog of an indie that has actually made a few games and he is into Unity and he talked about how there are a lot of "tricks" to making a good rpg with Unity.

It took me about a day to realize I already had been down that road before and forgot the lesson I learned. I'm not a very good programmer by any means. I can't look at source files in an engine and figure out what's going on (or at least with any ease) or make any modifications to it. I had really struggled with the Torque engine because while it has a lot of great features a lot of the work I did was figuring out how make feature X work with design Y. It really did get exhausting after a while, always jumping hurdles to figure out how to make it work.

I'm sticking with Blitzmax and I'm not letting a few forum threads influence me. Just because something can be bigger and better it doesn't mean it's really for you. I remember reading that Cliff Harris still used I believe Directx 7.x to make his games until recently where he upgraded one version. And I also thought about people's comments how Blitz is lacking features like Pathfinding. I already made a pathfinding system in Blitz that works great and it's coded to exactly what I need.

So yea I'm sticking with what works for me and what I'm comfortable with and I'm not going to adopt the "grass is always greener on the other side" motto.

No comments:

Post a Comment